Thursday, November 05, 2009

Will's home!

We all made it home and are doing great! I'd been so nervous about this labor being too fast to get to the hospital. And I was especially preparing myself for the fact that I wouldn't be getting an epidural. But things couldn't have gone better! My water broke which was awesome because it gave us time to get to the hospital before I was even having regular contractions. Once we got to the hospital, they got us all settled checking in, giving me the IV, putting in my epidural, and voila... two hours later Will came out in just one push. It was heavenly. :)

Having Will in the NICU helped balance out how easy delivery was. :( We really should be getting used to this, but the NICU is such a pain. I hate it. I couldn't hold or feed Will for a couple days which was so sad. His platelets wouldn't stabilize so they had to keep poking him and giving him IVIG treatments. They're still trying to figure out why our babies have this problem, but basically something about my antibodies kill my babies' blood platelets and then my antibodies stay in his blood and keep at it. Hopefully by next time we'll have some preventative treatment to do during pregnancy to avoid this again. Luckily he's just fine now and we're so happy to be home.

Finally, thank you, thank you, thank you to all my dear friends who helped make this so nice for us. We've never needed or gotten so much help. People slept over, took care of the kids, brought dinner, and it was all just amazing. Dan was able to spend lots of time with me and Will at the hospital and I am SO grateful. And today my mom is coming! We feel very blessed to have gotten so much help with this baby.

Okay, so here are a few more pictures!

The very proud Dad.


Love Dr. Schleuning! She delivered Cali and now Will and she's awesome. She didn't even have time to change from her street clothes... she just threw on some gloves and caught the baby just in time. Love her!


Loved our labor and delivery nurse, Nora... she was hilarious!


And then to the NICU for a platelet transfusion. So many tubes and wires! This time they were able to hook up everything through his umbilical cord, so no IV!


My first time getting to hold Will while he was in the NICU... and my good friend Jen, his first visitor. :)


We made it home and everyone finally got to hold Will for the first time. They all adore him of course!


We got a little costume for him just in case he was born before Halloween. We couldn't put it on him while he was in the NICU, but since he was born on Halloween, we just had to get a picture. His yawn kind of looks like a little roar. :)

11 comments:

Hanson Family said...

He is so cute Karen! I am so happy for you! I'm glad he is home and doing well. That's awesome that you had so much help... what great friends!

Emilee said...

Congrats you guys! He is adorable! It seems like yesterday that Cali was the little baby!

Tristen said...

Congrats to all of you!! What a beautiful family you have, we look up to you guys in so many ways. Will is perfect, I'm sure you are enjoying the miracle that is a new baby in the house. There is nothing better. Except for maybe the day that they sleep through the night again and you feel like you can get the whole family out of the house by yourself again. :) Congratulations to you again!

Leda said...

Congrats! You and Daniel are amazing parents! I love the pics of all the sybs holding Will, priceless. Say hi to your mom for me.

Britney said...

So sweet. I love his costume!

Glad he's home and doing better...and glad your mama is there with you!

Sarah said...

What an adorable family you have! Congratulations! Will is a doll. It is so fun to be able to see what's going on in your life. The Momma looks GREAT!

John and Stef said...

He is so great! I love the individual pictures of your kids with Will. I also wanted you to know that we sent the resume on. Let me know if you hear anything!

Jeni said...

Hooray! And he's a Halloween baby too! Cool! Congrats Karen, I am so happy for you.

Since the labor was so easy maybe you will be more eager for #6 :)

Love the name too, and he's just adorable!

Jen said...

MORE pictures please!

Sharee said...

Congrats! He is adorable and I am glad he is home and all is well.

Jen said...

new pics PLEASE! i want to see more of this guy!